Wednesday, March 3, 2010

There's Magic in the Air


The challenge over at http://theresmagicintheair.blogspot.com/ this week is to use any of Nina's fabulous digis with a sketch provided by Patti. Nina did offer up previously issued "Orson with cake" an an option. My Grandpa turns 88 today and he has always collected statues/figurines of the 3 monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil - so Orson was the perfect fit. Colored with Copics. I added a lil Shimmerz to the frosting to complete the yummy cake. Scrap papers. I also tried something new - I used chalks. My amzing, wonderful husband took me craft shopping as an early anniversary gift (we had a 50% coupon buring a hole in my pocket) and we picked out chalks. I had never tried them before, but where have I been?! So I went to work last night, and with a little practice I think I will really get the hang of it. I also bought the Making Memories Distressing Tool Nilla showcased last week on her blog (http://nillascraftroom.blogspot.com/) - thank you for enabling :) Unfortunately I will not be giving the card to my Grandpa for a few weeks. He (and my Mom) went on a two week cruise from Argentina to Chile, they were supposed to come hom today - but now he is stuck in South America, unable to fly out due to earthquake damage. He is fine, though apparently he is a little cranky in that he can't come home. Reports keep changing when he and Mom will return. I think the decision this morning was to repeat the cruise in reverse so that they can get back to Argentina and fly out from there, so their two week vacation may turn into an almost 4 week excursion. All I know is there had better be tons of pictures, and I have some time to create a mini album for his trip!

I made another card for this challenge using the "Lucky Bear" image from last week. I need more St Patrick's Day cards to the sketch helped with this one too. Again I used scrap paper, a MS punch, some festive ribbon I picked up at Michaels. Stickles on the balloon. I also tried to do a little more shading with the balloon for this version. Also more chalking. Thanks for looking!

7 comments:

  1. Wow look at you go! Two cards and both are awesome! To funny about your grandpa! Orson is perfect!Thanks so much for playing along with us at TMITA/PCC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two awesome cards! They are both coloured so beautifully! Gosh, what a time to be in South America with the earthquake in Chile, so glad to hear they're both ok though! I guess they get to have two cruises for the price of one! Thanks for joining us at TMITA/PCC this week!
    Hugs, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous cards, love how you colored them! I hope you will like the MM tool, I use mine a lot! Hope your family can come home soon!! Thanks for joining us this week! Hugs Nilla TMITA/PCC team

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tow gorgeous cards!!! You go girl! Thanks for joining us at TMITA/PCC this week.Hugs Olga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards both!! That cake looks good enough to eat.
    Sorry to hear your Mom and Grandpa got stuck on thier trip...I'll bet he is getting cranky being away for his Birthday lets hope they make a fuss of him on the cruise ship!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply adorable creations!! Great job with the chalks and fabulous takes on the sketch (I think you should get two entries for these!)! Thanks for playing with us again this week that TMITA/PCC and hope to see you back next week!

    Aloha, Kim
    TMITA/PCC Design Team member
    Check out the free weekly digi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow... I am soo glad your family is safe and sound! How scary that would be! And how wonderful of your dh to take you craft shopping for an early gift! So much fun and you did a wonderful job with your chalks! I love mine especially for a soft background like you used yours! great job there! Thanks for playing along with our challenge this week over at TMITA/PCC! Hope to see you next week!
    Nina
    TMITA Blog
    (free digital images)
    Paper Cupcakes-Stamps

    ReplyDelete